This Week on Rabat Radio
When you’re in a foreign place, there is almost nothing better than hearing an English song on the radio. Or maybe I should say, when you’re in a foreign place and your car has a tape deck, there is almost nothing better than hearing an English song on the radio. So even though Tiny Dancer is playing softly behind a thick layer of static and random bouts of Arabic, you’re going to stay tuned. It goes without saying that I was thrilled to hear each of the following this week on Rabat radio.
- Friends theme song, “I’ll be there for you” – Country version
- Eagle Eye Cherry’s, “Save the Night…fight the break of dawn, come to tomorrow, tomorrow I’ll be gone.” – Also country version.
- John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” – Soul version. Think female Marvin Gaye who smokes a lot.
- A pretty good imitation of Madonna’s “Like a Prayer,” except for the male background vocals.
- French newscast in which the only words I understood were, “Julian Assange.”
- Arab newscast in which the only words I understood were “Hezbollah.”
And because there must be a picture, it’s Carolyn’s 2nd birthday today! To celebrate, we dressed her up in complete Moroccan garb. Enjoy!